Maintenance is the legal obligation to provide another person, for example a minor, with housing, food, clothing, education and medical care, or with the means that are necessary for providing the person with these essentials.

This legal obligation falls unto, both the biological parents, grandparents or legal guardian of the child to pay maintenance. Maintenance is compulsory and can be claimed from the biological grandparent if the parents cannot pay maintenance.


  1. Child Maintenance
  2. Spousal Maintenance
  3. Cross Border Maintenance

Where are you supposed to lodge a complaint for maintenance?

  • In any local Magistrate Court where the Applicant and/or the child resides.

Documents needed to lodge a maintenance claim?

  1. Applicant’s Identity document;
  2. The child’s birth certificate;
  3. Bank statements of both the parents;
  4. List of the expenses of the child;
  5. List of expenses of both the parents;
  6. Proof of applicant’s income and expenditure;
  7. Full details of the person responsible for the payment of maintenance money;
  8. Physical/work address of the parent/person responsible for the payment of maintenance money;
  9. Copy of bank statement, Proof of residence or an affidavit confirming your place of residence.

What expenses may be claimed?

Kindly contact our offices to set up a consultation to discuss this in further detail.

A kind reminder that your view of the other parent’s behaviour has no effect on your children’s right to maintenance. You still have to pay maintenance, even if the other parent

  • Remarries
  • is involved in another relationship
  • does not allow you to see the children or
  • if either party later has more children.